9th edition is on the way!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Karantu
Champion

Re: 9th edition is on the way!

Post by Karantu » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:57 pm

Karantu wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:26 pm
So the app is available, small hiccup though... I'm going to checkout the free version while they fix that.
Edit: There's nothing to check out in the free version. The list builder isn't even available yet. It sounded like they were running behind with development of the app and unfortunately I guess I was right.
They fixed it and its 549yen per month which I personally think is still pretty expensive for what you get out of it. They don't seem to be putting a lot of money into the development of this app either so they're probably going to make a killing with it. Its still cheap enough for plenty of people to subscribe and forget about it. I'm probably just going to use it as an platform to access the digital copies of the books I buy and continue using battlescribe as an app builder. Since GW never lowers their prices on anything, the only way I'll subscribe to it is if they actually add enough features that the price becomes worth it.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:55 pm

I was thinking about subscribing just to get access to all the 8th stuff, cheaper than buying the various Psychic Awakening books I want a subset of the rules from.

It sounds...bad....right now though, missing a lot of UX features.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:47 pm

Apparently the "rules" is a PDF... in Google Drive?

(The decision is made for me since there's no iOS version, but still, definitely a wait-and-see option.)

Edit: Also there is apparently no option to unsubscribe once you do. :lol: (I don't think that's, like, malicious, considering the state of the rest of the app.)

It's odd since the AoS app is so good.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:57 am

Goonhammer has a really good review of the current state of the paid version of the app so check that out if you're curious.
https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhamm ... 0-the-app/

The iOS release is probably delayed due Apple's system for releasing new apps taking longer. Since most of the functionality of the app is pretty busted the only reason to subscribe would be to reference 8th edition codexes and supplements but I wouldn't recommend encouraging them at this point. Also, the app currently has a rating of 1.6 (on a scale of 1 to 5) on the Google Play store so that might give you an idea of what the mob thinks about the app in general.

Edit: I think they mentioned that the 40k app is developed by a different developer so that explains how different it is. The developer seems really inexperienced and probably underfunded. A lot of the design decisions and QA testing seems illogical and poorly done so it might take them quite a while to get on top of things. The release was also most likely rushed to line up with 9th's release and for some reason the developer couldn't/didn't explain that it wasn't ready.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:01 am

I think my favorite thing about the new app is that apparently there's no way to unsubscribe. :lol:

It might turn out ok eventually, but I can't see it beating battlescribe anytime soon.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:00 pm

I guess this might be useful for some folk, updated errata for all the Codecies.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/faq ... mmer-40000
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 am

Good lord. I just took a moment to read that Goonhammer article. How can a company drop the ball so hard on something so fundamental? Jeez Louise, it’s a frickin army builder app that doesn’t actually build your army?!? I mean, is BattleScribe being run by some kind of high tech supervillain with access to infinite wealth and resources? Cos that seems to work just fine. Surely, suuuuuuurely a multinational company listed on the U.K. stockmarket, commanding an overwhelming market share and thousands of employees can build a li’l army builder app?

No?

No?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Dear GW. Please stop slapping me down when I try to get interested in your stuff again. :roll: I just...I can’t even...uuuugh 🤦‍♂️
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:33 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 am
Good lord. I just took a moment to read that Goonhammer article. How can a company drop the ball so hard on something so fundamental? Jeez Louise, it’s a frickin army builder app that doesn’t actually build your army?!? I mean, is BattleScribe being run by some kind of high tech supervillain with access to infinite wealth and resources? Cos that seems to work just fine. Surely, suuuuuuurely a multinational company listed on the U.K. stockmarket, commanding an overwhelming market share and thousands of employees can build a li’l army builder app?

No?

No?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Dear GW. Please stop slapping me down when I try to get interested in your stuff again. :roll: I just...I can’t even...uuuugh 🤦‍♂️
They finally addressed it almost a week after its release.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... onth-free/

Its all marketing and down plays how bad it is while trying to hype up fixes that'll finally make it useable and potential future features that are probably not even in the pipeline yet.

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:10 pm

me_in_japan wrote:

No?

No?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Having been involved in numerous software projects, this reeks of inexperienced (read:cheap) developer house and lack of oversight from the business, probably combined with unrealistic deadlines. I can only imagine what a in-depth security review of the app would show....
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
If it helps, our experience so far is the game is excellent. The biggest criticisms are the points (which are basically Indexhammer waiting-for-the-codex stuff) and the Eternal War missions (which if you care are fully replaced by the much better GT missions)...neither of which we're using to play our Crusade games.

@YellowStreak is on the money about the app though. I feel like they went with the lowest bidder for this project, who had a small number of grad developers locked in a basement, a product manager who had a very generous understanding of "Minimum Viable Product" and was mostly a salesperson, and an agreement to launch with Indomitus.

Return to “Games Workshop”