9th edition is on the way!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Karantu
Champion

Re: 9th edition is on the way!

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:24 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:10 am
The Other Dave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:06 am
I wonder if GW will be selling just the kill-team-sized battle boards... Mixing and matching my Kill Team and WarCry boards last weekend was aesthetically sub-optimal, heh.
I think we'll see 40k or combined branding killzones.

I did go through with my threat to get the Warcry box in nihongo, so I'll have two Warcry boards, plus umpteen Kill Team boards once I get back out to Tajimi where my friend is kindly storing them. I should be able to bring aesthetically matching extras to future game days.

Mildly salty that my new mousemat objective zone markers just got squatted by 40mm though 🤣
You'd need 6"+40mm mousemat markers now since you can measure from any point on the marker. I feel like that was an unnecessary change from measuring from the center of the objective though. Its not like their current objective markers are on 40mm bases either so maybe they have plans to release new ones? Personally I don't mind playing with either as long as it is decided before the game of course.

One other thing I was hoping to see clarified was Flamers. From what I can tell Flamers don't get any bonus against hordes since they aren't blast weapons but that seems odd that they wouldn't do something about that when they added blast weapons. Am I missing something?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 am

Flamers are already good at dealing with hordes and generally priced to make that a good use of them. For vehicles they'll be the ideal weapon to use in combat and for infantry they're already fine.

I get the impression for a lot of blast weapons it was a bad feeling to use them against cheap infantry rather than juicier targets, so the changes mostly cut the double downside of bad rolls when you did that.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 am

I guess it's not as bad for flamers since you don't have to roll to hit while with blast weapons you had to roll for the number of attacks and then you had to roll to hit which ended up further lowers any wounds.

So thanks to all the leaks I've managed to set up a 50 power Crusade roster and I'm pretty much ready for 25 power games. Its nice having a goal to help me pick what to paint next. Anyway, I can't wait for the next game day.

edit: The game board that I have is made up of four 22" by 33" pieces so two of those could make a 44" by 33" board which satisfies the minimum 44" by 30" for Combat Patrol/Incursion games.

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:25 pm

GW just released the core rules for 9th to save us from having to squint at potato cam images with rude watermarks. It obviously doesn't cover all the leaks since the main rule book isn't going to be free but its cool they released it early, probably preempted by the leaks but its still cool.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:10 pm

What are folks’ thoughts on the new fortifications? Personally, I really dig em - both the marine and necron ones. Both are very in character, and both look dang cool. Will the eldar get some love? Who knows, but surely an Eldar (or even dark Eldar) weird wraithbone tower thing would be awesome sauce, no?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Hmm, looks like there’s a whole separate rules pack for Crusade - $35 US, so it’ll be slim, but maybe that’ll be where the narratives for each faction are? Also looks like $199 US for the Indomitus box.

I like the idea of space marine drop fortifications, very Dawn of War, but the missile thing looks a little uninspired?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 17 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:56 pm
Hmm, looks like there’s a whole separate rules pack for Crusade - $35 US, so it’ll be slim, but maybe that’ll be where the narratives for each faction are?
That's a notebook, I don't think it will have any rules.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:32 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm
The Other Dave wrote:
Hmm, looks like there’s a whole separate rules pack for Crusade - $35 US, so it’ll be slim, but maybe that’ll be where the narratives for each faction are?
Oh, it's just like blank datasheets? Bah! Bah, I say!
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:32 pm
Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:12 pm
The Other Dave wrote:
Oh, it's just like blank datasheets? Bah! Bah, I say!
This is the only Crusade related book they've announced and its a notebook with empty sheets for your roster and units.

The basic Crusade rules are in the big rule book which is going to be sold separately at launch. It doesn't seem to have anything faction specific but its not bad for a starting point. The codexes are most certainly going to add new options for upgrades and stuff but we don't know exactly what to expect yet.

In terms of matched play, they're releasing an update to all the points as well as a mission pack on release too.

Other than that they said something about releasing the app either on release or on the pre-order day according to some sources so we'll have to see how that turns out too. I don't think they've mentioned when we're getting updated power levels for all the units and how we're getting them. Hopefully it'll be available for free online or through the app.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:09 am

Some ponderings, not having really had a chance to look through what we have of the Crusade rules. Probably most answers boil down to "just wait for the rulebook, Dave" but a guy's gotta obsess over list building, right?

Would it be that the full 50PL roster wouldn't necessarily need to follow a force org chart? Although I suppose it would be useful to have an eye on one for if you do want to play larger games.

Since Crusade will be using Narrative rules, presumably daemon summoning would as well, and I wouldn't need to set aside points for it? (This probably comes down to "wait til the rulebook comes out", of course.) Would summoned daemons (as opposed to daemons fielded with their own detachment) be on your force org chart? That's probably a full-on edge / between the cracks case, though. (Basically, I like the look of the psyker-focused plague company, which also has some rules that make using summoning potentially tempting.)
-----

Return to “Games Workshop”