9th edition is on the way!

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

9th edition is on the way!

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat May 23, 2020 2:18 pm

About time if you ask me. Honestly when 8th came out was when I was enjoying 40k the most, but update after update has made it so much more of a drag to play. I love the period soon after a new edition comes out and everyone can explore uncharted territory, throw whatever they want down on the board, and see how it goes. Looking forward to it!
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Karantu
Champion

Re: 9th edition is on the way!

Post by Karantu » Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm

I just hope the app comes out on release so that I can stop buying books and just get the cheaper digital versions. I doubt its going to replace battlescribe anytime soon though. Also, since all the codexes and supplements from 8th carry over to 9th, its not going to be a hard reset. On the other hand since there's a significant amount of rules bloat in 8th, there's going to be a lot of unexpected interactions not matter how much they claim that its polished or whatever.

On the whole, most of the changes seems to be pushing melee armies since their new range for Primaris is going to be more melee-centric for sure.
Which means bad news for my Tau, Orks, and CSM probably. Well I'll have to wait and see before I can bitch anymore.

Don't get me wrong though I'm going to be at the forefront ready to break everything.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat May 23, 2020 2:37 pm

I have big hopes for that Crusade narrative system - it sounds like an evolution of WarCry's, which is perfect for haphazard schedules.

If the app is any good it will be a real game changer, I'd imagine they're aiming for something where they sell us the books to look pretty on our shelves, but the app is what you take to the game.

Also like the sound of rebalancing for different sizes of games, that'll be a big enabler for casual play.

(where's the box set announcement though? I need to figure out if I'm going to try to fob the Necrons off on someone or give up and start a spooky robot zombie collection)

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat May 23, 2020 2:49 pm

The Warcry campaign system was the first thing I thought of when I heard about the Crusade system. Its probably also going to be themed to each army so those of us with "unpopular"(also read as not Marine) armies will have to wait till our new codexes come out. I'm curious as to how it'll interact with matched play or if its going to be so broken that it'll be narrative only.

If the app basically just the 40k version of the AoS app, I'm probably going to go full digital so that'll help with storage space.

Re-balancing for different sizes of games didn't seem like that huge of an issue but I'm curious as to see how they're going to tackle it. I'm imagining it's going to take some pointers from the meeting engagement system for AoS. Which is probably also what their new reinforcement system is going to do. It just spells more bad news for Tau.

The new box set is probably going to be Assault Space Marines vs Necrons and will come out on launch of the new edition which should be a bit after the next 2 Psychic Awakening books. So probably within the year for sure, maybe Summer-ish?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 pm

I saw this on a warhammer news site.
http://natfka.blogspot.com/2020/04/9th- ... r.html?m=1
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Sat May 23, 2020 5:17 pm

According to the community article, if you buy a 9th edition codex it unlocks the digital version on the app so you don't have to buy it physically and digitally. I'm slightly upset by this because now I can't go full digital... My only saving grace is that GW hardly releases anything relevant to any faction I play.

jus

Post by jus » Sun May 24, 2020 5:31 am

thanks prim for the link, Those storm shield primaris looking freaking cool

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 am

The cinematic is *chef's kiss* as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9V0bOB8sXQ&t=0s

I'm not especially excited about a new edition, just because I haven't played in a while and have enough other games on my plate, but the new Necron and Marine ranges look cool!

That said, a WarCry-esque campaign system supporting 1000-point-ish games could probably get me to buy a small force of something-or-other. If they did something for 40K that makes smaller games fun in the way that Meeting Engagements do for AoS it would be pret-ty awesome. And given the popularity of Meeting Engagements I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't at least try.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun May 24, 2020 11:27 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 am
And given the popularity of Meeting Engagements I'd be kind of surprised if they didn't at least try.
Meeting Engagements + Warcry style async campaign would be just the perfect brand of 40K for our group I think.

That'd make it tough to use all of my models, and yet still be uncomfortably close to upgrading a bunch of Kill Teams rather than sticking with Sisters and Marines like a sensible person, but it'd be a lot of fun and we'd actually finish the games :lol:

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 am

Just saw a leak that there are supposed to be "exalted" greater daemons.
Curious how an exalted great unclean one will compare to a normal one.

Also I love the idea of the Crusade style battles, but I do think that is heavily geared towards space marines.
Like all my plaguebearers look very similar and have almost no difference in wargear.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Return to “Games Workshop”