Warhammer Underworlds

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Warhammer Underworlds

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:38 am

As someone who pretty much only plays one off games, I could easily mash my beastmen and chaos warriors together into a warband, or mix up my stormcast or whatever. The already-painted aspect is a big selling point, too.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:07 am

Well, this is sudden! The new, "small 6-month rotations rather than big 1-year rotation" core box (Nethermaze, oooh scary!) is going up for pre-order this Saturday (along with the final Harrowdeep warband, the electric zombies).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... derworlds/

And it's got fully Clan Eshin skaven:

And those shadow elves:

Both of which are hella thematic for the current setting and, predictably, look pretty ding-dang cool!

I don't think this will mean Direchasm will rotate out yet - that would probably be when the next set drops in 6 months or so. As I've said, I think the model of "small, fast rotations" (if I'm reading it right, 1/4 of the cards will cycle out every 6 months, rather than half every year) is good for the game, since the meta doldrums in the back half of a season are always a draggy time for the game, and the "suddenly the card pool is half is big" at the start of a season is likewise not so great. The only thing I'm not super excited for is Even More Boards, Tokens, and Dice, but :shrug:.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 am

Given the Harrowdeep teams are in a cheaper(?) Box released at the same time, if there's no important widgets in the Nethermaze box you could just wait another six months to get the teams.

I am probably not that smart.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:40 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 am
Given the Harrowdeep teams are in a cheaper(?) Box released at the same time, if there's no important widgets in the Nethermaze box you could just wait another six months to get the teams.

I am probably not that smart.
Ooh, I didn’t notice they’re doing that! Nice move GW, although I notice it’s just their rivals decks, so you would miss the universals, which is Not Small.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:53 am

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding and fogginess about this release on t'interwebz regarding whether this signals a faster rotation or not. For a while there Underworlds really seemed to be a contender for a well organised competitive game, but last season's rush of releases moving into this season's equally rushed (but seemingly deliberately so this time) releases is causing folks to bail. Whoever is in charge of Underworlds clearly doesn't understand the requirements for a successful organized play game.

Minis are nice, though. 🤷‍♂️

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:24 pm

Hmm. I mean, I don't really want to get into it, but I'd struggle to see how releases since Harrowdeep have been rushed? We got the core in October, the ogre in January, and now six months to the day later the next scheduled core - with the zombies that's 5 warbands in 6 months, as compared to the standard 8 warbands in 8 months during Shadespire and Nightvault. The zombies coming out at the same time is maybe what people are seeing is rushed, I guess, but tbh that feels like a reach to me - over the 6-month period between Harrowdeep and now it's exactly on schedule.

I think the thing that's hurt organized play was mostly covid - we've only started having FtF organized events at all again this year. Adepticon attendance was low but enthusiastic. Personally I think GW restarting the organized play pack support (and discontinuing it during the pandemic was the right move) will give the game a boost, just as their initial release did.

I dunno, maybe I'm just curating the content I consume, but everyone online whose opinion about the game I value seems to think the game is in possibly the best place it's ever been as a game, and are excited about the direction it seems to be going, or at worst (like the Agents of Sigmar dads) think Rivals puts one of its play modes in a "beer and pretzels" category even if you're not interested in returning to competitive play. :shrug: Some people who left the game seem to have recrafted their interaction with the game to "gleefully predicting its imminent failure," but I guess we see this with 40K and so on too, so I shouldn't be surprised.
-----

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:48 pm

Those minis are amazingly good.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:32 am

One thing's for sure, it won't be rushed in Japan unless they suddenly catch up with the release schedule. Still waiting for the new Kill Team stuff :lol:

The game still seems very healthy in Aichi in no small part due to Dave himself. Like anything else that's going to rely on a core of a half dozen or so people keeping up interest and a periphery of other folks taking advantage of that from time to time, but the only real impact on the competitive side is whether GW is still happy to keep making teams we want to try.

Rivals for instance has been great for us and I assume is competitively irrelevant.

I don't think any game can deny gravity forever (and pivoting to 40k for a while as Warhammer Quest did must be a constant temptation), but seems good for now. I'm just going to end up with way too many boards and dice.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:54 am

I dunno. I kinda have a lot of (somewhat vague) opinions on this, but I don't want to clog up the thread with what could easily become a series of complaints. If I ever make it up to Nagoya for a game I'd love to have a long chat on the subject, though 😊

(On which note - I swear ta gawd, I have been trying to get up to every.single.game.day this year, and without fail something has happened to sink my plans before I can even suggest doing it every time. I know it looks like I'm just spinning my wheels down here in Mie, but I am reeeaally keen to get up and see everyone. Soon. I hope. *Le sigh*)

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue May 16, 2023 9:36 pm

Ooh, new starter set:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... arter-set/

Most importantly, it's revamping the decks and fighter cards for a couple of season 1 warbands that haven't aged well, including what might be the best set of sculpts in a game with super sculpts throughout, the Sepulchral Guard. My personal heart-of-hearts suspicion on hearing about a new starter set was that they'd redo the original Shadespire box warbands, but this is, if not as good, possibly better (while I'm very excited about the skellingtons, I'm lukewarm on the Farstriders, but OTOH they're another classic "solid warband with weak first-season deck").

I'll pick up a copy if only for the cards. Heck, I'm half-tempted to pick up a second copy in Japanese for wider-audience demo games - I have some students at school who are getting into board games.

(Obligatory note for people who aren't me and Jye who happen to be reading the thread: the game's in a very good place, and this would be a great way to get into it!)
-----

Return to “Games Workshop”