The Horus Heresy

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: The Horus Heresy

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:06 am

Ahh, excellent - "multiple avenues to explain it" is exactly my cup of tea. :D
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:29 am

Lore-wise I think you're good. The Dusk Raiders were, for the most part, Terran. Though they did draw recruits from some worlds conquered during the Crusade as well. They were one of the last legions to be reunited with their gene-sire, clocking in about 80 years of independent operations.
Once Mortarion was found, their name, colours and intake changed, and all further recruitment came from Barbarus rather than Terra, and would thereafter only use the Death Guard's uniform.
At Istvaan the Death Guard purged their ranks of troops Mortarion didn't trust, mainly the Terrans. That said, Garro, a Terran, (and his men aboard the Eisenstein) was deemed suitably loyal to Morty and escaped the purge. Luckily this lack of judgement on Mortarion's part had absolutely no major impact on Horus' little rebellion whatsoever.... :roll:

If you haven't read it, The Buried Dagger is a good book about the Death Guard's fall to Nurgle. Like most of the series, it ties into a bunch of short stories and other novels, but it does a good job of humanising Mortarion.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:02 am

Yeah, Mortarion switching recruitment entirely to Barbarus and favoring Barbarus...sians? :lol: is one of the things I'd gleaned about the legion's history. I'd forgotten to what extent he did an actual purge or not, though - was it Perturabo who had his dudes murder 1 in 10 of their fellows just to make a point? Sounds like something he'd do, although I can't remember where I read it.

And I guess ambiguously-traitorous Terran Dusk Raiders isn't a bad thing - Titanicus at least makes a lot of hay of the fact that, while each legio does have a general "loyalist" or "traitor" tag, 100% of a given legio declaring for one side or the other was pretty uncommon - so a similarly ambiguous Dusk Raiders force fits with that way of thinking pretty well. (And fits the "ambivalent traitors" lore for my 40K army too - they were loyal to the legion over Mortarion, but still got their souls pledged to Nurgle and sort of resent M and the gung-ho green Death Guard for it.)
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:36 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:02 am
Yeah, Mortarion switching recruitment entirely to Barbarus and favoring Barbarus...sians? :lol: is one of the things I'd gleaned about the legion's history. I'd forgotten to what extent he did an actual purge or not, though - was it Perturabo who had his dudes murder 1 in 10 of their fellows just to make a point? Sounds like something he'd do, although I can't remember where I read it.
I think it's Barbarans. Most traitor legions got rid of their loyalists at one stage or another. The Death Guard, Emperor's Children, World Eaters and Sons of Horus purged themselves at Istvaan III.
Perturabo decimated his legion during his first day on the job as a 'getting to know you' kind of thing. (He was disappointed at how mediocre the legion was) That was way before the Heresy and the victims were kind of random. Sadly for the Iron Warriors, things didn't improve much from there.

Sorry, Heresy lore is kind of my jam. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 am

Primarch wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:36 am
Sorry, Heresy lore is kind of my jam. :D
Not a problem! :D I've been semi-surprised to find just how much Titanicus has got the whole Heresy setting's hooks into me. Still not quite enough to want to wade into the books - although OTOH I do kind of wish the American library I've got a card for had any of them licensed for borrowing as ebooks.

(I still think the Sanguinius scene in Titandeath was Real Bad, though. :lol:)
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:39 am

Indomitus Terminators now get Line in Pride of the Legion after yesterday's FAQ!

I doubt that will make them OP but it's very useful for anyone looking to cobble together a 30k force with 40k models (which is my core use case; or looked at the other way use 30k as an excuse to flesh out my 40k forces).

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:51 am

GW have been very busy it seems. Updated PDF's and FAQ's all round for the heresy.

The potential addition of Line certainly makes Indomitus better. They still lack the built in 4++ of the Cataphractii, or the ability to Sweeping Advance like the Tartaros, but providing you want power fists and other high S assault weapons, they can fulfill a heavy assault role. PotL has always been the cheaper route into 30K ever since the first books of 1st ed. This change makes it even cheaper to add a 30K force to 40K and vice versa, assuming you use a Legion who didn't change colours post heresy.

The biggest complaint about the Legacies PDF was the high points cost/low effectiveness of the 40K options compared to their 30K variants, which now seems clearly intentional rather than a potential oversight. I can understand the business reasons (Sell more FW!!!), but it would be better (IMHO) to make all options viable.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 am

Well for better or worse the converse applies; most of the 30k options are far from brilliant in 40k. Relic Contemptors are great and Relic Terminators seem on par, but the tanks are very much overcosted. Which is a bit of shame since it's be fun to pack a Spartan full of Wolf Guard!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:36 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 am

Surely you do not doubt the great Angel's magnificence! :D ;)

@Primarch - the World Eaters on the table looked awesome! They have a really striking colour scheme and the blood spatter just brings everything together. ;) They are close combat orientated, too, like the Blood Angels. Does the legion get a bonus in melee?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:51 am

kojibear wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:36 am
The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:13 am

Surely you do not doubt the great Angel's magnificence! :D ;)

@Primarch - the World Eaters on the table looked awesome! They have a really striking colour scheme and the blood spatter just brings everything together. ;) They are close combat orientated, too, like the Blood Angels. Does the legion get a bonus in melee?
They get +1 attack when they charge, so they really want to get to grips with the opponent ASAP. They also get free chainaxes instead of chainswords, giving +1 strength as well as Shred.

Return to “Games Workshop”