The Horus Heresy

This forum is for discussion of GW and their games.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Horus Heresy

Post by Primarch » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:43 am

It is an expensive box, though I am surprised at some of the other prices. The new Rhino is only 100 yen more than the old version, I was expecting it to be more like the Sisters Rhino. The new boxes of Mk.III & Mk.IV armour are also better priced. Before it was 7000 yen for 10, now it is 11000 yen for 20 (5500 for 10). Of course, you have to want 20*, but they are more reasonable than before.
The Kratos, Weapons Upgrades and Transfers are all a bit more than I was hoping for, so I'm going to have to re-examine my spending plans there.
No sign of some of the weapons packs, reboxed terminators or Sicaran tanks, hopefully we won't have to wait too long for those.
All in all though, I think my day one purchases should work out roughly the same as I had planned, with just a few small tweaks.

*and I do!
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:43 am

FWIW Ring tail has several copies of everything up for order.

Just one less of the main box, special weapons and Legion Astartes 😅

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:16 am

Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do but wobbling towards Space Wolves with as much of an emphasis on Termies + Dreads as possible. Both of those are highly reuseable in 40K so a good starting point. If we end up playing Heresy regularly, then I can pivot easily to more bespoke units, if it's more of an occasional thing then the ones I have can spend most of their time as 41st Millennials with hipster, retro hardware tastes 😃

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:27 am

What size games do you think we'll play at game days, @Primarch?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:43 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:27 am
What size games do you think we'll play at game days, @Primarch?
Probably only 1000 at first as people try out the game and get used to the rules. I suspect the reaction rules will have a bigger impact on smaller games, but we can see how it goes.

I think 2000 is the usual minimum as that allows you to field bigger toys like the Kratos or Leviathan (both in the 300 points range) and bring sufficient answers to anything similar your opponent puts down.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:07 pm

I've pre-ordered my first core box and a few extra goodies. And just in time too as GW just posted a road map for the new range.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... es-bright/

Model-wise there is more on the way that has been previewed.
-Heavy weapon packs
-Leviathan dreadnoughts
-Sicaran tanks
-Land Raider Proteus tanks (unofficial, but a new model has been spotted in the rule book art)
-Individual packs for the Spartan, Contemptor and Beakies from the launch box.
There are also rumours (or wishlisting) for:
-Predator, Vindicator and Whirlwind tanks
-Assault marines
-Breacher marines (marines with giant boarding shields)

They haven't specified about which models will be released or when, but they did clear up when some rules would be dropping. Unlike the initial release, I suspect everything else is likely to have the usual shipping delay issues, so don't take the dates as definites.

This month we have the core rules and the two army books for all loyalist and all traitor legions.

In August we get the army book for the Mechanicum, which also includes Knights and Titan Legios (and not those chibi versions some people currently use. :lol:). I'm not expecting to see folks fielding reavers or warlords any time soon, but standard knights are useable in 30K. No word on whether or not the book will include a Dark Mechanicum army list or not. FW were supposedly working on one for years but it never got published. FW's mechanicum range is head and shoulders above the 40K ad-mech models, so I'm hoping we see some of it in plastic. Then again, I'm already remortgaging my house for my new Astartes minis...

Ahem, moving on, October sees the Liber Imperium, which is probably going to include Custodes, Sisters of Silence and Solar Auxilia (elite Imperial Army troops). Again, no info on any new minis for these ranges. 40K Custodes and Sisters are the same models as the 30K versions, but the 30K lists have a lot more toys to play with like hover-tanks and gigantic dreadnoughts.

Also on the way are free PDF's for unit entries that didn't make the cut for the army lists. These are units from 1st ed. that don't currently have, or never received a model. Fingers crossed it includes standard box-shaped dreadnoughts and baneblade chassis superheavies. We'll also get PDF's for Imperial Cults and Militia - a miniature agnostic list to build up chaotic cults or Imperial Army formations with a pick-and-mix set of special rules, and for Daemons of the Ruinstorm - another miniature agnostic list that allows you to field an army of warp spawn, tailored to your own diabolic needs. GW released some free rules and missions in the run up to 2nd ed. and these will be getting updated and expanded over time too.

To top it all off, there are free rules coming in White Dwarf (though WD is not free) for Zone Mortalis, a more skirmishy set of rules focused on boarding actions and special operations. ZM is larger than Kill Team, but smaller than a normal 30K game.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:43 am

Kratos rules for 40k are up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp- ... jLsvsi.pdf

It's got a lot of options and could probably do good work as a vehicle hunter but for PL it's clearly overpriced. Points aren't too bad and with Armour of Contempt and a 2+ save might not even be that big a risk but I'm not a competitive enough player to judge if it "makes it".

I think I'm safe from temptation...this time :lol:

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:32 am

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... BKNnwbEtW8

M... Mechanicum...? :?

(The article includes lots of links to Forgeworld, so plastic support is by no means guaranteed, but plastic Mechanicum might be enough to get me into 32mm Horus Heresy.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:34 pm

Okay, that's it. I am done with the Horus Heresy!

...The novel series that is :D. Last night I finished 'The Buried Dagger,' the last book in the regular HH series. It's been quite a long time since I first read Horus Rising, but I've gone through all the novels (even the bad ones) and most of the novellas and short stories that I was able to find.
So next is the Primarchs series I guess, and then on to the Siege of Terra.
The Other Dave wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:32 am
M... Mechanicum...? :?
(The article includes lots of links to Forgeworld, so plastic support is by no means guaranteed, but plastic Mechanicum might be enough to get me into 32mm Horus Heresy.)
Plastic Mechanicum would cripple me financially, but I'm still hoping for it anyway. Perhaps unsurprisingly Forge World makes the best looking Mechanicum minis.
There are rumours about certain models, but nothing beyond wishlisting so far. Certain models of battle automata can be included in marine armies with the correct HQ choices so I think there is a market there.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:06 am

It begins...

Heaviest parcel I think I've gotten from Ring Tail, probably courtesy of the books!

I am coming at this from the perspective of a tourist from 40k but my plan for the rest of the day is to sit down with the corebook and cultivate some idiomatic Heresy understanding. It's all good as long as it doesn't lead to buying resin :lol:

Return to “Games Workshop”