Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

This forum is for you to show off your finished minis.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm

And here's my little thread of things that I finish up!

To start off, here's a project finished that I've been sitting at 90% done for a bit, 1500 points of Post-Human Republic for Dropzone Commander.

I'm glad I went with this color scheme - it's striking, and I think it plays to the strengths of the sculpts, but man did it ever remind me why I swore off painting white. Fortunately, DzC has a relatively low model count, and anything I add to this force will probably be either infantry or big centerpiece models, so expanding the force won't be too onerous.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Very nice, and agreed - the colour scheme is very effective. Every time you post a DZC picture I get dragged another tiny step along the road to buying in for one more game...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 am

me_in_japan wrote:Very nice, and agreed - the colour scheme is very effective. Every time you post a DZC picture I get dragged another tiny step along the road to buying in for one more game...
You know you want to! And the starter set is quite the deal. *makes hypnotic wavy hand motions*
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:59 pm

This next is one of those "probably never really be done done" projects, but I'm at a sort of a comfortable spot right now so thought I'd share:

My 6mm British, coming along pretty nicely - in retrospect, I'm half-wishing I'd done facing colors on all the infantry, but the other half of me knows full well it would have driven me absolutely insane to try. And really, in play I'm going to be looking at these guys from about this far away, and can you see their collars and cuffs? Me neither.

If we're playing Black Powder, with one base making one unit and just playing in cm instead of inches (which seems to be what we're set to do), it's a quite large force - 15 units of line infantry and 3 each of heavy and light cavalry, with a bit of artillery to back them up. Realistically, I'll want more artillery, more leaders, and a few units of skirmishers, but all those are either on the workbench or in the mail, so things are probably in an OK place for this project. More than OK for a project that hasn't actually been used in a game yet, but Mike and I are set to rectify that in March, knock on wood.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:49 am

You didn't paint the facings? :o :o :shock: Shame on you!

Your tiny, little Napoleonics are coming along nicely. You seem to have a fair amount of them done. Best of luck against old Boney's men.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:23 am

Slow summer! Lately I've been working on what you might call Dave's Antisocial 15mm WWII Project, where I rebase my Flames of War stuff to play a platoon-sized game of some sort with. I've reached a natural stopping point, in that I'm out of stuff to rebase and the stuff I ordered to fill out the platoon hasn't arrived yet, but here's what I've got done.

Basically I just need a second 12-man rifle squad, and guys to fill out the MG squad and mortar and gun crew (some of which got cropped). Then I'll probably throw some money at the Plastic Soldier Company for Germans, throw some more money at 4Ground for terrain, and call the project done.

It's good to get some work done again! Even if it's, as I say in the main painting thread, for a combination of scale and game that nobody else is probably interested in, heh.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:36 pm

OK, Phase I of Dave's Slightly Antisocial WW2 Project is complete, an American armored rifle platoon with ample support in 15mm.

Next is some Germans for them to fight, some terrain for them to fight over, and then I can start fumbling through some games of Chain of Command with any interested parties.

(Wait, isn't Chain of Command a 28mm game? Well, sort of - it's scale agnostic, really. The game's writers play in 28mm, while at the same time noting that playing in 15mm will give a pleasingly-equal ground scale and figure scale. So couldn't I just have collected an army in 28mm and played with the many people who have WW2 armies in that scale for Bolt Action? *apologetic shrug*)
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:41 pm

You could even have forgone buying an army and asked to borrow one. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Primarch wrote:You could even have forgone buying an army and asked to borrow one. :D
*bigger apologetic shrug* Heh, it was mostly having (most of) these guys sitting around unused and feeling I should do something with 'em, and that blossoming into a project - having a single army in an unpopular format and scale* is kind of worse than having none at all. :lol: The relative dirt-cheapness of getting a force this size in 15mm helped too.

It's even possible that this getting-painting-again thing may get me off my butt with my 28mm Germans. Possible.

*By which I mean, in this case, individually-based and 15mm.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:42 pm

Congratulations on getting them done though. They look great.

Return to “The Gallery”