Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

This forum is for you to show off your finished minis.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 am

I finished up my own Scourge fleet this afternoon. This is the "demo" fleet from the starter box - a 1000-point fleet will be about twice this size.

My main issue, to get self-critical, was consistency. The whole technique of letting washes blend on the model was a bit trickier than I thought it would be. Put them on too wet (like I did with the Wyvern cruiser on the right) and they'll just wick into each other, leaving things not very contrast-y. Wait too long before putting on the second color (like I did with the Ifrit in the front) and they don't really blend into each other at all. I think the Shenlong in the back, and the bigger Gargoyle frigates, turned out the best of the bunch. Still, they're beautiful models, if entirely too pointy, and paint up great - I'm very pleased. Now I just need to figure out how to transport the spikey bastiges.

Just one more cruiser and I'll have my UCM fleet done as well.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:36 pm

...and the UCM fleet!

I really like the way this color scheme turned out - enough to seriously consider getting a whole fleet. I might have gotten a little bit fiddly on the nose of the heavy cruiser, but what the heck.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 am

Oh, hello thread that I haven't updated in about a year, in the interim of which I painted a whole mess of space marines! What's up? You'd like to see some pictures of said marines, which I haven't shared yet all as a group here? OK!

This is the bulk of my army, if I focus on bigmarines, which I will, thankyouverymuch! It's 100 power level's worth, consisting of three sub-formations:

The core Battalion, with 2 Intercessor squads and a Scout squad (the latter mostly just because I don't have 3 Intercessor squads) backed up by Inceptors and led by the Captan, his Honor Guard, and a Lieutenant who was apparently off having a beer when this picture was taken.

The Vanguard, with 2 dreadnoughts (1 Venerable, whose plasma cannon I wasn't impressed with and will probably in future stick to the assault cannon, and 1 Ironclad) and a Reiver squad, led by another, more diligent when it comes to photo opportunities, Lieutenant.

And the Spearhead, with 2 Hellblaster squads (1 with heavy plasma guns and 1 with assault) and a Predator, led by a couple smallmarine characters who will be replaced by a Primaris Librarian just as soon as I can talk myself into spending 5000 yen on one.

Pretty much all I want to add to this army is a squad of the wonderfully chunky Aggressors - I aaaactually (and, well, totally unsurprisingly if you know me) find myself preferring smaller games to bigger ones, so I can very easily make do with what I've got here.

...Says every miniature collector ever, lying through their teeth. :lol:

(Sorry for the broken images in the rest of this thread - I jumped ship from photoshop to imgur and can't be bothered to migrate all my various pictures.)
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 am

Nice bigly marines. I'm impressed by your dedication to churning out so many figures in a row. Hmmm, I guess you technically did more figures in a row when you were doing 6mm, but the point stands. Well done!
The Other Dave wrote: so I can very easily make do with what I've got here.

...Says every miniature collector ever, lying through their teeth. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Make do", is one of those phrases like adequate, mediocre or passable. As my school teachers frequently had cause to remind me, they're not really all that positive. :D However, in light of my own purchasing/collecting habits, I'm probably not the person to be offering advice here.

Congratulations on finishing your army.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:25 am

Primarch wrote:Congratulations on finishing your army.
But... But my Aggressors! :lol:

"Make do" was probably not the best choice of words, no, heh - that's my self-deprecating Midwestern nature showing through as it is wont to do. Honestly, yeah, it's correct to describe the army as "done" aside from the occasional drib or drab I might add to it like I've been doing to my ASC set.

Which means I can get to work on a Nidzilla army! :lol: :( :roll:
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am

No army is ever really finished. You've just finished this stage of your army. After all, you haven't seen the stuff that hasn't been released yet, how could anyone definitively state they were done? :D Aggressors, Depressors, Embezzlors, I'm sure GW has more to come. :lol:

(yes, I am aware of the misspelling, it was deliberate). :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Nothing like a well painted army of smart looking space marines. I love the basing as well. Great work.
Will these be your Nagyahammer 2018 force?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:27 am

ashmie wrote:Will these be your Nagyahammer 2018 force?
That's the plan! I just need to use the intervening time to get good at 40K. :lol:
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Gettin' all fluffy with my army collection!

LET IT BE KNOWN that the Scythes of the Emperor have recognized the resurrection of their chapter with an infusion of Primaris space marines by the Adeptus Mechanicus as a debt that cannot be ignored, and have, as repayment of that debt, launched what shall heretofore be known as the Gryphonne Crusade to assist the Gryphonne IV Remnants (with whom the Scythes have a particular solidarity in the shared experience of the loss of a homeworld to the Great Devourer) in scouting out, conquering, and founding a new Forge World at an appropriate site. Praise be to the Emperor! Praise be to the Omnissiah!

The Crusade has at its core an alliance of the Scythes of the Emperor's 2nd (Battle) company led by Brother-Captain Fentius Jorr, and forces of Gryphonne IV consisting of the 1st Cohort (Expeditionary) of the forge world’s single remaining Macroclade, under the command of Domina Vishti Ramh X10C5. The Crusade is accompanied by Inquisitor Harken Alford of the Order Xenos and his retinue, on his own recognizance.

In the relatively short time they have been fighting together, Brother-Captain Jorr and Domina Ramh have developed respect for each others’ strengths—Jorr as a seasoned and powerful front-line fighter, and the Domina as a bona fide tactical genius—and find that they work well together, both on the battlefield and in the Chamber Tacticum. The Brother-Captain’s fiery zeal for the Crusade (he was one of its first and most enthusiastic proponents in the Chapter conclave) is tempered by Rahm’s rather more detached nature, while at the same time it cannot be denied that his fervor energizes her and the forces she commands, helping to overcome the sometimes too-careful conservatism her position as marshal of some of the last forces of Gryphonne IV has instilled in her. Inquisitor Alford’s presence is tolerated with unease at best by the Domina—she suspects, with a calculated accuracy rating of approximately 76.3%, that the Inquisitor would balk at or even interfere with the re-foundation of Gryphonne IV on the basis of xenotech findings, something which she herself sees as a distinct, and not unwelcome, possibility. She also suspects, with a calculated accuracy rating of approximately 92.8%, that this is in fact the very reason Inquisitor Alford attached himself to the Crusade. For his part, while Brother-Captain Jorr is privately not entirely fond of some of Alford’s more unorthodox methods, he is pleased at least to have a reliable psyker along, as the Scythes’ newly-reestablished Librarium did not yet have enough members to spare any for the Crusade, and he respects the Inquisitor as a dedicated agent of the Imperium who has proven ready and willing to put himself (and the troops he commands) in harm’s way in the Crusade’s battles.

(Basically, a fluff explanation for my probably sub-optimal choice of using AdMech allies and the cool Eisenhorn model I picked up at Yodobashi together with my Scythes for Nagoyahammer. :D)
-----

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Love the fluff Dave! Thanks for taking the time to write it up. :) I hope to get around to doing my own for the Exodites at some point. :)

Return to “The Gallery”