Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

This forum is for you to show off your finished minis.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Dave Paints - no, not that Dave... the other one.

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:59 am

Some more pick-chars:

First up is all-of-my-AdMech-so-far:
I'm pretty pleased with how they look on the table! I've got another 10 skitarii and an enginseer coming in the mail, then they may take a break as I have a cool idea for a bit more terrain to round my table out, plus I want to get a few more marines so I can phase out scouts and try fielding bigger squads of inceptors, but that's another kettle of fish, as they say.

Next is some not-so-well-lit shots of my 1500-point army for NagoyaHammer this year, if anyone wants to start building lists expressly to beat me. :D

The core is a Battalion (cue Prim frothing about inappropriate uses of military terminology :lol: ) of Scythes: Captain, Lieutenant, 2 squads of Intercessors and one of Scouts, a Redemptor and an Ironclad.
Intercessors are always solid, the Scouts are a cheap screening unit, and while the Captain and Dreads will have to foot-slog it across the board to punch the enemy, they're all three pretty dang tough and once they get there they'll be good at the punching.

Next is a Patrol of Gryphonne IV Remnants: Domina, a squad of Rangers with sniper rifles, a squad of Vanguards with no special weapons (basically because I had the points to spare) and a Dunecrawler with neutron laser.
The Dunecrawler is really the star of the show here, the army's main source of AT punch, although if the Rangers can stay alive their powerful sniper rifles are very scary, and the Vanguards put out a surprising number of hit dice with a surprising threat range.

And finally is a little Inquisitorial Vanguard: the Inquisitor and 3 one- or two-man Acolyte units (and a Daemonhost lurking in the warp to get summoned), riding in a Razorback "borrowed" from the Scouts (the RB is technically part of the Marine detachment, but Inquisitors can commandeer transports like this).
This formation is included 100% for fun / fluff reasons, and because I don't have a psyker for my Marines. The Razorback is basically an Inquisitor / Daemonhost delivery device (that it provides a bit of AT punch, and allows the 4 units that make the formation up to deploy in one drop, is a welcome benny), and the Acolytes are ablative wounds for the Inquisitor with their "look out, sir!" type rule. We need to proxy the lasguns as an unusual pattern of hotshot lasgun 'cause the Acolyte wargear lists are limited like that - I probably should just get some Scions, and in fact may if cash flow allows me to do so before NagoyaHammer.

There's nothing really flashy in the list, but it has a solid core of troops and (hopefully) enough tough, dangerous vehicles to force some target selection on my opponent's part. It brings 9 CP, and the Warlord is the Domina with the "get CP back" warlord trait, so I shouldn't be hurting there, and is fully FAQ compliant. Its big weakness is probably that it's a bit weak on anti-tank - I'm leaving the Predator out to punish it for failing to kill anything in any game I've brought it along in yet (and because I just couldn't fit it in and still have enough warm bodies / CP to be competitive). But it should be fun and it'd be a shame to waste all this cool background info I wrote up about it!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:30 pm

This is a bit of a pic dump, so I'll put 'em here instead of in the "today" thread.

I finished up the Space Marine Heroes season 3 set today, so here they all are (along with my translation of their quote on the little card that comes with them in the set):

Plague Champion Gangrous: "Just as our Primarch Mortarion was granted daemonhood, so too shall I attain immortality!"
Krottikus with the Icon of Despair: "Kneel before your true master. Or choose death, I care not."
Scabus with his Flail of Corruption: "I give to you the blessing of the almighty Nurgle!"
Korelath ("Death to the false emperor! Praise the lord of contagion!") and Morrslag ("Your rotten, melted flesh is our holy water."), the latter with a Plague Spewer
Garg the Abominable: "None have seen this boltgun and lived to tell the tale."

And the whole gang:

And the whole gang as I'll probably field them as a 100-point kill team, with Garg (whose model I don't care for, and whose pithy quote leaves a lot to be desired to boot) swapped out for a bunch of poxwalkers:

And my traditional fluff bomb:
Perhaps the plague marine warband that styles themselves the Dusk Raiders are actually Death Guard of Terran stock who sided with Mortation during the Heresy, now reclaiming their heritage with the splintering of the legion. Perhaps they are instead of Barbarus or later ancestry, adopting the heraldry of the Dusk Raiders to mock or out of twisted irony. Or perhaps they are renegades from a later age who turned to Nurgle, discovered the history of the XIV Legion and seek to emulate it. In the end, of course, the so-called Dusk Raiders are a tiny warband in a massive galaxy torn with strife, a glimmer of an ancient history that has passed, for most, into legend, so questions concerning their ties to the past are both unasked and unanswered.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Great work. The colour scheme really pops and makes a change from the standard pattern.

As for Garg's pithy quote, I guess his teammates walk around with their eyes closed a lot?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Primarch wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm
As for Garg's pithy quote, I guess his teammates walk around with their eyes closed a lot?
I'm imagining a lot of "geez, not this again" sighs and pointed aversion of gazes whenever he gets on a roll.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:48 pm

see, now you have to tell me what the Japanese is for "Death to the false emperor" :lol:

Lovely work there on the stinkies. We'll have you painting great unclean ones in no time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:47 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:48 pm
see, now you have to tell me what the Japanese is for "Death to the false emperor" :lol:
偽りの星亭に死を。Itsuwari no hoshitei ni shi wo. I figured “false emperor” was cooler than the literal “false star emperor,” heh.

Thanks to you both for your comments too! I’m really pleased with this little group.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:08 am

As I probably won't finish anything else this calendar year (well, maybe - I started some Questoris knights last night...), here's a dump of my 2020 production. I've mentioned it before, I think, but for the past couple years I've been using a site / app called Trello to track and manage my painting and projects, and it's been great not only for keeping track of what's on the shelf, but seeing my progress nice and clearly: my 2020 page is here, for example.

Anywho, I'll organize by theme.

My first and last models this year were Adeptus Titanicus, so I'll start with that:
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Then I painted up a whole bunch of warbands for Underworlds:
Including a repaint of one of the season 1 warbands I wasn't particularly happy with:
Last edited by The Other Dave on Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

And some models for WarCry:
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:09 am

And, moving into the 40K-iverse, some expansions for Blackstone Fortress:
-----

Return to “The Gallery”