Grant's Groovy Geeky Gallery

This forum is for you to show off your finished minis.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Grant's Groovy Geeky Gallery

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 am

I don't even play Age of Sigmar, but I picked up the Blightkings box just because you get 5 character-like models to paint.

I also got the Nocturna paint sets from Vallejo a few months ago so I've been playing around mainly with skin-tones, and tried a different paint scheme on the skin of every blightking.

Apologies for the phone photo quality, but they're all finished now. This marks me being finished with painting everything I have in Japan, but don't worry, more is already in the mail. Fingers crossed I'm doing this Imgur thing right.

https://imgur.com/RS7mduG
https://imgur.com/KIQ7Acy
https://imgur.com/ezvh3NA
https://imgur.com/PhcJEFu
https://imgur.com/fnEZWHt
https://imgur.com/MGCl7rm
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Grant's Groovy Geeky Gallery

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:09 am

Your pictures are viewable. If you want to post pictures directly from Imgur, when you open your imgur account and click on the pictures you want to share, there should be a set of options on the right side of your screen with a bunch of different urls. I usually select the Large Thumbnail and Forum options to generate nicely sized pictures to post here.

For warp-tainted, pox-filled monsters, your Blightkings look great. Even if you don't play AoS, you could always use them as stand-ins for some Nurgle daemons or possessed.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:19 am

@ Primarch : Oh I see. Thanks.

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:22 am

That's it!

I do like those minis. They're terminator sized aren't they?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am

Yup, they're on 40mm bases.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:23 pm

and look at that! Amazing the difference embedding your pics can make. As a fellow painter of all things gribbly and oozy, I'd like to congratulate you on your choice of minis :) Your stuff is very neat and tidy, which is no mean feat on a nurgle mini. So many oozy holes... :?

Also, the bases are very nice. What did you use for them?

And finally, if I may be so bold as to make a small suggestion, Adding more contrast by shading down darker will really make the minis pop more. It took me ages to learn this meself, but if you want a mini to look brighter, make some bits darker. Strange but true...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ashdevon
Warrior

Post by ashdevon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:21 pm

Nice :)
Nearly finished the pile of miniatures from 2013.
Painting mainly historical with some fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:43 am

@me_in_japan

Thanks for the advice. I think I need to drybrush a little less actually, because I do start with a quite dark color, but sometimes I accidentally end up covering almost all of it.

The bases are super easy. It's just Stirland Battlemire texture from GW. Then I drybrush on Ryza Rust with a really short drybrush so that you can work it into some of the crevices, and then finish it off with a light drybrush of Eldar Flesh that gives the orange some variation. I use a longer brush for that so it only softly hits the tops of the rocks.

I have that basing structure for pretty much all my miniatures. I started it with my Death Guard because I like to think of them marching through a blasted Mars-like planet. Only realized as I was doing the 3rd Blightking that they wouldn't be in that type of climate, but I'd committed at that point haha.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:28 pm

I've never used the GW texture paints, but clearly they do a pretty bang up job. Nice :) I'm a sucker for a well based mini, and have a big box of random basing stuff to prove it. But, as yet, no GW texture paints. Might see about picking some up.

As for the drybrushing, use whatever technique suits you and the time you have available. I'm a fussy pain in the ass when it comes to painting, the result of which is that my minis usually look ok, but take me fooooorrreeeeever to get done. Like, a stupid long time. I feel I have no painting mojo at all these days. Need a bit more drybrushing in my life, is what I need :roll:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:29 am

Nice stuff! Those blight king models are peak nurgle.

I'll drop my occasional heartfelt recommendation of 100-yen-store makeup brushes for drybrushing here, too - you can get some really smooth gradients with just a little practice.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Return to “The Gallery”