Dredd Thread (Judge Dredd Miniatures Game)

This section is for the discussion of Judge Dredd
Konrad
Wargod

Re: Dredd Thread (Judge Dredd Miniatures Game)

Post by Konrad » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:56 am

Oh, hey. Stooge mentioned that a Japanese translation will be released soon. I know Stooge is for sure interested in playing. I think a couple of the other guys too.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes, I thought Satarou san seemed keen on giving it a try last time I saw him. The more the merrier! I hadn't heard about a Japanese translation, although I know that Warlord brought Dredd (along with some other, better known WWII game) to Tokyo recently. Is the translation he mentioned official, or a fan translated effort?
It's pretty amazing that people are keen and making an effort to give it a go, as the comic is what really should be fuelling the interest, and it ain't available here. Actually, I'm pretty sure that 2000AD itself has never been available in a Japanese, which makes it hard for people here to get into the game. Only the movies as a way in.
If it is an official translation, I really hope that some of the stories make into Japanese too in order to support the thing.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:29 pm

It's probably being done by Kazu, the Warlord rep in Tokyo. (And ex-GW Japan staff).
I think he was the guy who did the BA translation and is responsible for marketing the games at the Tokyo hobby stores and some events in the Tokyo area.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:43 pm

That makes sense, was vaguely aware of the BA rules being translated in this way. Anyway it comes out, it's great news. I think most Japanese people will find the Hondo City stuff a bit daft though.
Lovejoy wrote:I'm pretty sure that 2000AD itself has never been available in a Japanese...
Just noticed that typo. Sounds like it would be difficult and painful for the person whose innards were offering shelf space to and or selling said comic.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Finally, some new Dredd releases! Ever since I had been told about a 'tsunami' of new Dredd stuff by Mongoose, I've been holding my breath. And here is..well, not so much the promised natural tidal disaster of new items flooding our lives, but, a little trickle of stuff, ranging from the quite good to the not that great.

http://www.warlordgames.com/new-judge-dredd-releases/

Personally, I quite like the Cursed Earth Judge (a long walk judge, more accurately) - although he isn't in the same league as the frothers wonderful Judge Minty. The stub gun and lazooka Judges are nice, and are likely to get some use in people's Justice Dept lists.

Hopefully this will signal the start of a few more release items. Those biker gangs, Brit city and ABC Warrior box sets have been talked about for quite some time, and pat wagons must have been getting rumours 2 years ago... About time they were squared away I think.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:50 am

I really want to get into Dredd but I know next to nothing about the world. I enjoyed the recent movie though.
Is there a starter set? Or should I just build my own gang as it were? I'm tempted to pick up a gang for this, Infinity and something small for Bolt Action, Partisans?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:14 pm

ashmie wrote:I really want to get into Dredd but I know next to nothing about the world. I enjoyed the recent movie though.
Is there a starter set? Or should I just build my own gang as it were? I'm tempted to pick up a gang for this, Infinity and something small for Bolt Action, Partisans?
Regarding starting off with Dredd, the beginning of this thread has a fair bit of info, links etc, it's not finished in all aspects but it should give a few pointers especially about the world.

You can use a variety of minis- anything contemporary or near future sci-fi works really. You probably have something suitable already! The rulebook is nice but I suppose not essential if someone you play with has a copy (think I'm the only one with a hard copy, though a few other people have the pdf..always nice to have another hard copy available). You can start with the free pdfs that I mention on the thread that give the basic rules.

The Dredd minis themselves divide opinion, I like them, but I'm pretty biased in favour of my pet game, so if you are thinking of picking them up I would look at some pictures of the sculpts and decide whether you like 'em too. Some feel the older figures are a bit ropey. Newer releases have been pretty good though. As said before, you don't actually need to use their official Dredd minis at all unless you want to use Judges. And actually, Foundry do their own Judges too.

There is a starter set - it contains the rulebook and 2 gangs. Warlord do it for 75 GBP but I think caliver sell it for 66 gbp including post worldwide, which is a decent deal.
http://store.warlordgames.com/collectio ... tarter-set

You can also get the rulebook and one starter set for 50 pounds from warlord.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:24 pm

All the JDMG rulebooks and box sets are 20% off in March from Warlord:-

This means starter set (rulebook, 2 gangs, exclusive minis) is 60 GBP rather than 75 - a very good deal frankly, and the box sets and basic rule book work out as 24 quid instead of 30. Probably the best opportunity you are likely to get if the game appeals to anyone out there.

http://www.warlordgames.com/special-off ... 11f534a2ed

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:47 pm

That is a bloody good deal! I am quite tempted, but I do have about 5 gangs now so I shall control my impulses.
I reckon it is well worth grabbing the books at least though.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I have a Dredd question, for those who have the rulebook (which should be everyone, since they were giving it away for free recently, but I digress...)

Bikes and other vehicles:
am I right in thinking that these are not bought as equipment for gang/squad members, but as standalone entries in your gang list? I mean, taking my street gang as an example, a gang member can carry 50 creds of stuff. Upgrade to hero and he can carry another 75. Most vehicles cost way in excess of this. That's aside from the fact that bigger vehicles can carry a whole bunch of people, gunners, drivers and so on.

The way I understand it is: if one wishes to have, say, a ganger on a bike, one does the following:

buy a street ganger. upgrade to hero L1 if you want. buy him some equipment if desired (up to 125 creds). enter this chap in your gang roster.
buy a bike. buy it upgrades up to its hit points. put this as a separate entry in your roster.

at the start of a game, any ganger can start the game on the bike. 2, if it can carry a passenger. Likewise, you could in theory start the game with an unmounted bike in your deployment zone and have a ganger get on later.

is this right?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Judge Dredd”