Dredd's not Dedd.

This section is for the discussion of Judge Dredd
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Dredd's not Dedd.

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Looky, looky - Warlord got the rights to 2000AD mini-making shenanigans. Huzzah!

https://www.2000adonline.com/post/1183
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Dredd's not Dedd.

Post by Primarch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 pm

Just reading that on the Warlord site.
http://www.warlordgames.com/warlord-gam ... s-licence/
Guess they wanted rid of all the old Mongoose stuff so that they can make their own minis and games. It doesn't necessarily mean that the JDMG will be continuing though.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Happy to hear the news, though can't help feeling that Warlord and Mongoose have been slightly disingenuous to their customers here, in order to divest themselves of stock. That's business I suppose.
It'll be interesting to see what form things take. A minor rejigging of JDMG would suit me. I read somewhere that the JD ruleset was itself a version of an Andy Chambers thing (Starship Troopers?), which he wrote for Mongoose after not being allowed to do what he wanted to for a previous edition of 40k, so the pedigree was always there.
I've heard that the Warlord DW game will be skirmish, and is somehow a version of the Bolt Action ruleset though, so who knows? (Pun intended) I suppose that treating individual models as you do units in BA could work fine and might be a better way forward.
Glad that Strontium Dog will be first to get the treatment rather than old stoney face... Great setting and underexplored.
I would recommend that Warlord actually sell some of the collected 2000ad comics from their site this time however, so that newcomers to the setting can see what is actually going on in the world of SD and other strips. This was a mistake with the way that they sold Dredd I think.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:15 am

Lovejoy wrote: I suppose that treating individual models as you do units in BA could work fine and might be a better way forward.
Actually tried that with a friend (using basic infantry mainly) and it worked pretty well..!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:08 am

I predict that they'll do a Slaine supplement for Hail Caesar as it'll be a smart way to sell a lot of their ancients too.

As for Dredd, I hope they do stick with the current rules. A few tweaks wouldn't bother me, but they work so well that it'd be shame to see them go.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:06 pm

Yeah, rules are fine. I'm sure that it could be improved with a few tweaks and whatnot.
I just read "The Horned God" the other day. Hail Slaine! Man, an army of barbarians reavers (with a war mammoth or two) all done up in a Biz/Fraz palette would be so much fun. Hmmm I do still have an odd dozen Fianna and berzerkers and.....no time for new projects....
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Horned God was a revelation when it first arrived. Eyepopping. I'd never seen comic art like it, the Bisley stuff took you right into the mythic celtic world and the story is a classic. I had forgotten Slaine (which my computer wants to correct to Elaine) was mentioned as a possible development, which is a very exciting prospect..warp spasms, Elfric, Ukko and Slough Feg, Drunes, Cythrons..an embarrassment of gaming riches right there. "He killed 50 to his right and 50 to his left, he did not think it too many".. wonder how that is going to work on the table.
Things like Nemesis and Bad Company would also be fun, but Rogue Trooper also seems like a very obvious one to develop.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Judge Dredd”