NagoyaHammer 2021 - Passing the Torch

Details of upcoming NagoyaHammer events
Primarch
Evil Overlord

NagoyaHammer 2021 - Passing the Torch

Post by Primarch » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 pm

We're still a long way out from Golden Week 2021, but this is important and any interested parties will need time to organise alternatives.

Due to a variety of reasons including, but not limited to, my disinterest in 40K and the ongoing fallout from Covid-19, I have come to the decision that I will not be running NagoyaHammer next year. If someone else wants to take over, I can offer my support and experience in running the event. While I will certainly miss the yearly arguments with M_i_J about how I am penalizing his Eldar through my choice of missions, points and/or army lists, I think it is time to hang up my hat for a while.

If anyone plans to use the same venue in Kanayama, the room booking date is usually around the first week of October.

Hopefully someone will be willing to take over and organise something for Golden Week next year.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: NagoyaHammer 2021 - Passing the Torch

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:15 am

Thanks for all your hard work with the event! I know, from the single year I managed it, that it's no small task, and I'm sure doubly so if your heart's not in it.

I'd volunteer to take over, but I can't generally commit to taking part in both days of the event, so while I'd be more than happy to help out, I probably shouldn't volunteer to be in charge of the whole event.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:36 am

I'd volunteer to plan the 40k day if Dave wants to do the other day and/or just help out in general. I don't really have any experience running events but I'm willing to give it a shot and learn along the way. I should generally be available over Golden Week too so if things have gone back to normal by then, I'm totally for it.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm

I'd be happy to help out how I can, of course, but the big jobs are basically, in descending order of importance:

For the whole event:
-Reserving the room
-Managing participants and collecting money from them
For the 40K day:
-Pulling together enough terrain for "enough" tables
-Organizing how the games will work

And "reserving the room" and "collecting money" are only made harder by adding more people. :?

That said, I do think we/you/whoever ends up in charge might want to look at:
1) Moving to a smaller and less-costly venue - It seems to me we usually use roughly half the room, and while being able to leave stuff there overnight is a bonus, it might make the price tag steep for people who are on the fence - which segues into:
2) Working on outreach to other within-travel-distance gaming groups, and local-but-haven't-found-us Japanese gamers, which means:
2a) Setting up a website? (The Rising Sun GT guys in Osaka have done a bang-up job with this IMO)
3) Just IMO, but moving to ticketed attendance might be something to think about (This is just my opinion after getting a taste of the stress of not knowing how many people were coming, and having to collect and manage cash money from them on the day(s) of the event the time I ran it. Peatix has a good, easy-to-use system, even if they do take a cut.)
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm
3) Just IMO, but moving to ticketed attendance might be something to think about (This is just my opinion after getting a taste of the stress of not knowing how many people were coming, and having to collect and manage cash money from them on the day(s) of the event the time I ran it. Peatix has a good, easy-to-use system, even if they do take a cut.)
Did everything go ok after the cancellation?
The Other Dave wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm
1) Moving to a smaller and less-costly venue - It seems to me we usually use roughly half the room, and while being able to leave stuff there overnight is a bonus, it might make the price tag steep for people who are on the fence - which segues into:
The room size is not the only consideration here though. The NTK Hall was the only place that I found that allowed booking 6 months in advance. Everywhere else was 2 months. The NTK Hall does have a smaller room (5 tables rather than potentially 15) which is a lot cheaper, but really limits attendance. Things may have changed in the 10 years or so since I last investigated venues, but given how irregular the regular events are in terms of date and location, I doubt reservations have become much easier.
If folks are fine with only a short run-up to the event, then that provides a lot more options.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:20 am

Primarch wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm
Did everything go ok after the cancellation?
There was a small fee for that, but I figured that was part of the price of convenience.
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:29 pm

I'd be down for trying to expand the event and get more players to attend. If I'm not mistaken we have a few more members in our monthly game days too but I'd like to try and get people other than the regulars to join in too. Unfortunately given how things are going these days (with the pandemic and all that) I'm not sure if its the best timing to try expanding though. I'm fine with it either way though.

I'm a fan of having a website/poster/landing page for the event though. And if we do decide to try expanding it will be pretty essential. I might even be able to help with setting one up.
Ticketing would be cool too since it would make the event seem more legitimate and it might make people more likely to show up once they commit to getting a ticket.

One the gaming side of planning the event, I could help with terrain but since I don't own a car or drive I might need some help with transport. Planning a 40k tournament isn't going to be too bad but I'm more worried about what to do on the open day if we do get more people. People might be more likely to join if they know what they're going to play or whats going to be at the event before they show up. Maybe have a best painted contest and a list of games demo games in addition to having everyone just play whatever and interact? Dave, you could even have another go at trying to run an Underworlds tournament.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Expansion is sort of an ideal, true - depending on how things look pandemic-ally it might actually be wise to keep it Tokai-area-local for next year.

Yeah, terrain is sort of the kicker. I did OK the time I ran it by just asking people to bring terrain plus having a couple tables' worth myself, but that's also in the "I'd rather plan for it" side of things. Depending on the day, I could *probably* commit to bringing my terrain and mats on the morning of the 40K day and dropping them off, then taking it all home at the end of the second day.

My current thinking is to try to run an Underworlds tournament each year (or at any rate next year and for the forseeable future), yes. Traditionally the non-40K-day has been an open-play day, with events and demos as people volunteer to run them, but having something more structured certainly couldn't hurt IMO.
-----

Return to “NagoyaHammer Events - 名古屋八ンマーイベント”