Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:40 pm

On a more positive note, did you see the space lands for Un-thingy set? Phwoar. I fancy some of those…
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:35 am

Wouldn’t normally post like this but I just had one of the most glorious wins evaaaaar.

Draft match. I’m playing rakdos blood tokens. He’s playing some azorius spirits tappytappy nonsense.

Early game, he’s removing my dudes and playing small spirits. Getting in lots of small hits. I’m burning life generating blood and drawing cards.

After a few turns I’m down to 1 life, he’s on 25. I finally get a couple small guys to stick. I spend the next five or six turns chump blocking his increasingly big guys, while the board state gets more and more complex with vehicles, bigger beasties and cross-tapping going on, saccing blood tokens to draw as many answers as I can.

We trade dudes back and forth. I get in a few decent hits. He’s on 9, I’m on the same 1 I’ve had all game. Last 2 turns of the game I miraculously draw into exactly the removal I need, he swings, I surprise first strike kill his dude, shoot a removal at his last blocker and swing for lethal. One card left in my library.

Fething glorious. :D

*edit* eventually went 5-3. Not the best, but I’ll take it.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:47 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:38 pm
Another very pertinent point that I saw on Pleasant Kenobi’s YouTube channel is that now they can just errata stuff they’ll be less likely to ban cards. That means:
You spend WCs (the prime currency of Arena) on a playset of cards.
Said card gets banned: you get your WCs back.
Said card gets nerfed: you get shitty cards. Also your deck is screwed. So…go build a new deck? Needing more WCs?

It’s just a teeny massive huge bit predatory.
Yeah, the lack of ban related WC's is not a great change. Mind you, I saw people who would craft 4x of any card due for a ban to get the WC's and then hopefully get to keep the card in other formats/use it when it got unbanned, which seemed a bit loophole-y to me.

Looking over the new alchemy cards, there are some pretty cool options to build around. I did just have one question. Why the {your expletive of choice here} are there 40 rares and 10 mythics in a 60 card set? That's close to 200 packs to get everything, with no way of earning them through FTP means. Plus the commons and most uncommons are just going to be duplicates of stuff from the Innistrad sets. So we have a choice of burning up any gold we have left, emptying our reserves of WCs or paying real money/gems to get the cards. If this were any more predatory, it would be chasing Schwarzenegger through the jungle.

I don't mind digital only stuff. I don't even really care that much about cards being changed as I don't play that competitively. But I'd like to be able to actually try to keep up with what is being released without needing a second mortgage.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:26 am

I don't suppose youve been seeing any of the kamigawa spoiler s recently? Game-wise, I'm feeling completely (compleatly?) uninspired, but story-wise I'll concede they've managed to snag my attention with this:

Hey! It's the Wanderer! Well done on the foreshadowing. *Pats story department on the head, gives them a cookie*

And also this:

Oh, Tamiyo, what have those monsters done to you? *snatches cookie away from story department with a stern look*

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:10 am

I uh... haven't played Arena so far this year.
And I have zero interest in Magic the Cyberpunking 2077. (Though those Japanese land cards are freaking gorgeous).

I can honestly say that I haven't missed it so far. I guess 2 years of playing 3-4 times a week was enough for me.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 am

Fair enough. While I haven't dropped off the radar completely, the time I spend playing is massively reduced compared to last year. Over saturation, I think. There's an Izoni deck I'm building at the mo, but I'm taking ages over it, and tbh it's more of a time filler exercise for when I have a free period at work than any real target for playing with. I do still play Arena, but it's been exclusively historic brawl this whole year, and that only once or twice a week to try to maintain some kind of resource pool for when I do eventually get back into it.

That said, I'd be up for a game some evening, if you fancy?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:34 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:52 am
That said, I'd be up for a game some evening, if you fancy?
Thanks for the offer, but I'm trying to avoid spending time on PC gaming, and particularly Arena at the moment for a number of reasons. At some point, I'll probably come back to it, but it won't be anytime soon.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:12 am

Still haven't touched Arena this year.
Still not going to.
WotC's response to the economy being too expensive is to offer a more expensive alternative? Seems like a bold move on their part.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:45 am

Yeah. I haven't played since kamigawa dropped, and even before that I spent almost all of vow and hunt playing only historic brawl. From what I can see, the community's response to the offered wc package is...unwelcoming, to say the least.

Wizards need to start paying more attention to things other than "projected profits" or the game (arena, at least) will burn out on a tide of ill will. 🤷‍♂️

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:00 pm

Well, after a 7 month break I've dipped my toe back into the Arena pool.
Playing a mix of Historic and Explorer, I managed to get from Bronze 4 to Platinum 4, only using my existing decks. I also tried a few games of brawl. I also tried out that new format, gladiator??? It seemed ok.

In that time I saw a handful of new decks and far too many UWx Control, Craterhoof Elves, Muxus, Angels and (that most despised of all combos) Cat-Oven decks. It was also good to see that despite years of development the game is still riddled with bugs.

I did try putting together some new decks using the cards I got from promo codes (+ a few WC), including a RW Samurai deck which did okay-ish. My biggest problem with the game as a whole is that I want to play janky fun stuff, but the game is all about competitive net-decks that have won the game on turn 4 at the latest.

Dominaria is looking good though. It's kind of sad about Ajani, seems Phyrexia is targeting the nicest planeswalkers first. The new Sheoldred should be a lot of fun to play.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”