Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:15 am

Konrad wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:05 am
And yeah, Ash Wastes! Oh what a lovely day. I don't think there was ever an official supplement for the Ash Wastes. No, no maybe a WD article or something? Lots and lots of fan-stuff over the years though. Very curious to see what sort of kits come out for that!
Ash Wastes was in the official Necromunda magazine way back when. No model support and the rules were basically fan-written.

It looks like one or two of the model teaser images over the past few months match up with the truck thing from the intro video here, so some kind of official vehicular support is on the way.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:53 pm

GW have been listening to M_i_J it seems.

Eldar Corsairs are in the new Eldar Codex as well as Kill Team. (Probably not as a full army, but it's a step in the right direction).

Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:25 pm

I dig 'em, as a non-Eldar-appreciator it reads like a cool mix of Asuryani and Drukhari designs. The one guy with the Eldar Pickelhaube is maybe a bit much but aside from that it's all good in my book.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:44 am

I like them a lot but in practice they'll be a while off outside the next big Kill Team box. I'm still waiting on the standalone Novitiates 😅

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:53 am

I'm going to keep my opinion on these to a minimum for the good of the public mood. Taken as they are, simply considering them as sculpts, they're well done. They evoke both craftworld and dark eldar aesthetics, and have a bit of piratey flair (this latter point I'm actually not so keen on. I'd have preferred them a bit more viking-y, and wild reiver-y. A bit more house greyjoy and a bit less cap'n jack.) But overall, they're nice.

But (and I'll keep this brief): GW squatted my corsairs army years ago. That bloody stung, and I'm not ever going to praise them for giving us a spoonful of something now that they took away from us by the plateful years ago.

On a more general note, these recent eldar releases have really served as a powerful reminder to me of how little I have in common with 40k or GW in general these days. I don't feel excitement or joy when I see these (objectively very nice) eldar minis. My overwhelming feeling is one of resentment at having been taken advantage of in previous years. Of having to jump through hoops just to get a non-ridiculous price. The constant hype for the newest, biggest thing. The sheer amount of time and money needed to play even a small game. I think about all the 40k stuff (minis and terrain) taking up space in my room, and find myself wondering if I'm kidding myself about ever actually using it again. In short: my negative memories of 40k are starting to outweigh my good ones.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just having one of my periodic grumps. A couple months from now and I might be all "yaaaaay Eldar!" Or maybe I should just rip the band aid off and sell em.

🤷‍♂️

ps, yes, that was the short, not-too-opinionated version. If you want the long version, by all means feel free to PM me ☺️
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 am

*bursts through the wall*

Did someone say selling they were selling a bunch of space elves?

Ahem.

40k as a game is probably as good as it has ever been. Narrative support is great, the terrain rules help cut down on turn one slaughter, and the base game plays pretty fast - the big drag on time is learning the complexities of your army, though even that has a silver lining that most factions now have very flavoursome rules. The main problem is elves are too damn good but that's had very little impact in Nagoya anyway.

What hasn't happened, and will never happen, is 40k becoming cheap. Getting you to buy a lot of premium plastic is what GW is best at and they won't stop. I think the minis are great and some of the boxes are good value but the GW ecosystem is set up to be an ongoing hobby commitment that keeps you making regular premium spends. There are lots of hobbies like this - a lot of my relatives are into fishing and WOW can you send a lot of money underwater if you have a mind to and are plugged into the kit market - and filling that kind of niche is what GW is all about.

Of course if you're not playing at a GW store or tournament that's no obstacle to enjoying Warhammer 40k 9th edition, between existing models, proxies (we've had literal Gundam played as Tau and it was rad. I can't tell the Tau apart anyway so they may as well be Gundams) or Jus' amazing 3d printed creations. I play a lot on TTS and minis are literally a ctrl C ctrl v there.

I'm not saying that because I think you should - I'd be happy to play you anytime you're in Nagoya but you seem excited by Malifaux now and so are many others in the club so why not get stuck in to that - just pointing out they can be decoupled. You can keep the Warhammer Community window closed for a couple of months, and then if the mood strikes you have a 1000pt/50PL game against one of us to see what the fuss is about without giving GW a solitary yen first. And you can do that whenever, no rush (unless you want to give me my richly deserved comeuppance with the Aeldari codex - Banshee Masks look nuts).

That being said if you are selling space elves drop me a line :)

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:15 am
Konrad wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:05 am
And yeah, Ash Wastes! Oh what a lovely day. I don't think there was ever an official supplement for the Ash Wastes. No, no maybe a WD article or something? Lots and lots of fan-stuff over the years though. Very curious to see what sort of kits come out for that!
Ash Wastes was in the official Necromunda magazine way back when. No model support and the rules were basically fan-written.

It looks like one or two of the model teaser images over the past few months match up with the truck thing from the intro video here, so some kind of official vehicular support is on the way.
I remember some scavie models way back when that came from the Ash wastes. I think they wore ratskins... or maybe that was another clan?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:10 pm

Scavvies and Ratskins were in the Outlanders supplement, which was a full thing with those two, Redemptionists, Spyrers, psykers, mutant animals, and other fun stuff in the deepest dankest parts of the undercity. Ash Wastes was something other, including Mad Max-ian vehicle rules and set outside the hive city itself, and was only a semi-official (? I'm not really sure how official the stuff in the Necromunda magazine was, although it was published by GW at least) but never got any official model support AFAIK.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:38 pm

so, I took out my corsairs and set em up and pondered them for a bit this evening.

They're still cool. I'll keep em. Spev has kindly agreed to play a game of 1p40k in a couple weeks, so I plan on using them then and see how we go. Looking forward to it. Onwards and upwards, eh whatwhat :)

I suppose I'd best get that vyper, flyer and the melee chaps done, really...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:56 am

That is a sweet looking army, MiJ!

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”