What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:54 am

@Konrad Thanks! I'm always worried if I use real organic matter it'll start decomposing/spoiling after a few years though.

Are the rocks just foam? And is the shack plastic?
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:59 am

@Konrad - perfect spooky terrain! Tis the season after all 🧙 For Frostgrave?

@Jye - cool 😎 The Emperor approves!

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:24 am

@Grant- well....let's hope it does not start rotting......I choose good and dead,dry leaves but could have maybe left the leaves out under a lamp for a couple days...... The shed roof is textured sheet styrene I got at the Osu Joshin. They have all sorts of tubes and rods and textured sheets and strips. I spend more on styrene rods and strips than on actual miniatures.

A cheap option for corrugated roofs is to strip the outer layer off a regular, old, corrugated cardboard box to reveal the inner layer. Usually a bit big for mini scale but a good representation. But I wanted this to be in scale and more realistic.

The wood is this stuff called book-board. Basically a heavy, dense cardboard used for bookmaking. It does not warp as much as illustration board. I used a dead ballpoint pen to press woodgrain texture into it. Rattle-can white primer and then good old Agrax earth-shade/Nuln oil/bit of blue and green washes and some grimy green weathering powder.

The rocks are just blue insulation foam. You can get like door-sized sheets of it at the hardware store. I think I got a sheet about half that size at Tokyu Hands.

@KojiB- planning on using them for Strange Aeons, a Cthulu-esque horror skirmish game set in the 20's-30's, hence the rusty metal roof. I was thinking about making a whole, great, big barn at first. Maybe next Halloween. The rocks would work for any fantasy game though.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:35 am

kojibear wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:59 am
@Jye - cool 😎 The Emperor approves!
Thanks! I think he'll have mixed feelings about the Squat though...

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:42 pm

Unlike our Votann friend this is an intentional test scheme:

In two minds about the yellow. It's nice that with Imperial Fist I *can* paint yellow, but it's not very forgiving to slip ups with the red or metallics.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:38 pm

I'd say that looks pretty sharp!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:00 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:42 pm
Unlike our Votann friend this is an intentional test scheme:

In two minds about the yellow. It's nice that with Imperial Fist I *can* paint yellow, but it's not very forgiving to slip ups with the red or metallics.
Iron Man!?

But I do like it! The vibrant contrast paints make it look like something from an old school anime. I had no idea you had Tau either - do you plan on bringing them out to the games day anytime? Imperial Guard vs Tau used to be my favourite match up back in the day.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:27 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:42 pm

But I do like it! The vibrant contrast paints make it look like something from an old school anime. I had no idea you had Tau either - do you plan on bringing them out to the games day anytime? Imperial Guard vs Tau used to be my favourite match up back in the day.
When they're painted 🙃

In theory that could be as early as November - they're all assembled but not primed so possible but I need to put some work in. Depends if I want to paint them to procrastinate painting terrain.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 pm

I wrapped up my breachers for my Epic 30K Death Guard:

I've always liked breachers, and was long ago tempted by the idea of getting some from FW for my Scythes to use in Advanced Space Crusade. These are much smaller, but getting to collect a bunch tickles me. Just some contemptors and vindicators and I'll be good to go for the 30th!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:36 am

Looking good Dave and Jye! This tiny death guard may not like to hear it, but they look cute at that size 😉 If you paint battle suits red, maybe they’ll shoot faster - why should orks have all the fun 😉

Does anyone know an easy and effective way of fixing warped/bent resin?

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”